Virtual private lessons for music makers of all sorts.
I work with composers from 13 to 113 and emerging to elite.
My mission is to help you unlock your creativity, discover your voice, and have fun!
I define “composer” broadly as anyone who creates music and uses some method to communicate it to performers and/or listeners. This could mean traditional notation, graphic notation, text recipes, recorded music and sound, and more.
I believe that everyone is creative. Yes, everyone.
I always thought that composing was for prodigies. I didn’t realize it’s something you can just sit down and do.— Julia, Seattle, WA
Former students include:
- A music major who did something entirely different for years after graduation and returned to composing in their 50s.
- A music composition professor at a university who learned specific production techniques in Ableton Live.
- A student taking a gap year between high school and college who used the time to compose chamber music.
- A cellist who “dabbled” in electronic music and created an entire album.
- An elementary music school teacher who writes songs and creates sound art to accompany scultpure exhibits.
Because my composing journey began with electronic music and I have worked extensively in audio production and sound design, I offer insights and ideas that complement and expand traditional composition techniques.
My younger students have gone on to study at schools such as Juilliard, Oberlin, and Peabody.
Lessons can be focused on instrumental composition, electronic music, creative sound-making techniques, or a combination of these.
In addition to topics such as form and structure, orchestration, and notation, we will address issues such as:
- Methods for creating emotional impact in music
- Fun & creative techniques for generating musical content
- Working with improvisation and/or electronic sounds
- Developing a creative practice that feels playful and satisfying
Interested in composition lessons? Let’s talk!
Flexible scheduling available.
Book a free 30-minute introductory call to identify your goals and ensure that working together will be a productive experience for you.