Online private sessions for creators of sound & music.
Unique, individualized learning to help you unlock your creativity, discover your voice, and have fun!
If you create music and/or sound and use some method to communicate it to performers and/or listeners, creativity sessions are for you!
This could mean creating work in a DAW like Ableton or Pro Tools, traditional notation, graphic notation, text recipes, field recordings, and more.
I believe that everyone is creative. (Yes, everyone!)
I always thought that composing was for prodigies. I didn’t realize it’s something you can just… sit down and do.— Julia, Seattle, WA
Alex’s advice really helped me—not just with writing music, but also getting past my own mental blocks.
Former learners include:
- A music major who did something entirely different for years after graduation and returned to composing in their 50s.
- A music composition professor at a university who learned specific production techniques in Ableton Live.
- A young creator taking a gap year between high school and college who used the time to compose chamber music.
- A cellist who “dabbled” in electronic music and created an entire album.
- An elementary school teacher who writes songs and creates sound art to accompany sculpture exhibits.
Because my creative journey began with electronic music and I have worked extensively in audio production and sound design, I offer insights and ideas that complement and expand traditional composition techniques.
Sessions can be focused on instrumental composition, electronic music, creative sound-making techniques, or activities like developing a workflow, getting creatively unstuck, or idea brainstorming.
In addition to topics such as form and structure, orchestration, and notation (if appropriate), we can address issues such as:
- Methods for creating emotional impact in music
- Fun & creative techniques for generating musical content
- Working with improvisation and/or electronic sounds
- Developing a creative practice that feels playful and satisfying
Interested in creativity sessions? Let’s talk!
Flexible scheduling is available.
Book a free 30-minute introductory call to identify your goals and ensure that working together will be a productive experience for you.