Work With Me
There are so many ways to be a composer. What’s your way?
Do you need a structured yet flexible schedule for your creative life?
Regular one-on-one, personalized encouragement in the form of practical tips for generating or revising work, and securing performances?
Empathetic, rigorous feedback?
Do you have a composition or project in progress, and want another set of ears and eyes on your work?
Are you feeling stuck creatively or professionally, and would like to explore possible solutions?
I offer a flexible, client-centered range of consulting services, from general feedback to intensive and dedicated coaching designed to jump-start your creativity and launch your work into the world.
I pride myself on thorough and compassionate attention to your work and your goals. Whether you are composing for orchestra or ocarina, building homemade instruments or making electronic music, I’m here to help you find your footing.
This “Combo Plate” consulting experience may include any or all of the following options:
Composer Street Smarts — career guidance tailored to the individual’s specific goals, addressing topics such as:
- Royalties (ASCAP/BMI)
- Generating performances & commissions
- Contracts and negotations
- Grant seeking and preparation
- Finances for the self-employed
- Writing professional emails, including cold pitching
- Effective writing for grant applications and proposals
- How to manage a collaborative project and/or partner
- How to get through that rehearsal of your music like a rock star
Digital Media Training (beginner to advanced)
- Website evaluation/feedback
- Work sample evaluation/feedback/presentation
- Audio recording/editing/mixing
Composition Lessons (beginner to advanced)
In addition to topics such as form and structure, orchestration, and notation, we will address issues such as:
- Methods for creating emotional impact in music
- Techniques for generating musical content that are fun and creative
- Incorporating elements such as improvisation or electronic music into a work
- Developing a creative practice that feels playful and satisfying
Why should you work with me?
I have been working as a self-published freelance composer for over 20 years. I have composed commissioned works for a major symphony orchestra, symphonic bands, professional chamber ensembles, solo performers, and electronic music. I’ve collaborated with choreographers, animators, and visual artists. My pieces are recorded on multiple albums and are performed across the U.S. and internationally. I have residencies with colleges, universities, and music festivals. I have an incredible community of musicians who I love working with.
I have also worked extensively in audio production, digital media, and teaching/training. I have managed projects and people and have a talent for connecting people to people and resources that are impactful for their professional lives.
If this is you, you should work with me:
- A composer or creator looking for focused support bringing a specific work to fruition, fine-tuning their working methods, or jump-starting their work and career.
- A composer or creator wanting to pivot and change their work and/or career.
- A musician returning to composing after years away.
- A musician who has never composed music but would like to start.
- A non-musician interested in making music or exploring creative sound-making techniques.
- A recent grad who’s ready to tackle the “real world” professionally.
- An ambitious student who wants laser-focused personal attention on their music and career goals.
CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE
You will receive a free 30-minute introductory phone or videoconference call to identify your goals and ensure that working together will be a productive experience for you.
3-month Creative Coaching Program
Typically includes (per month):
- Two 1:1 video-conference calls
- Two rounds of content consultation (music/recordings/written materials) including edits and comments
- Homework assignments
- Personalized listening/reading/watching recommendations
- Career guidance tailored to your specific goals
Do you want general advice or feedback on a composition or project?
Have a single, focused issue that you would like to discuss?
A short-term consultation may be just what you need.